Warsaw Surroundings

Warsaw's surrounded by magical little towns full of history and flair. If you fancy short trips outside of the city, we give you some tips where to take off to.

Żelazowa Wola

Zelazowa Wola1810 Fryderyk Chopin was born here. This beautiful mansion, once a house of family Chopin, located 50km west from Warsaw is surrounded by picturesque gardens. The place is worth a trip in the spring and summer especially Sundays where 40 min. piano concerts are given in the gardens.

The mansion, that is open to public, is actually an outbuilding, as the original manor house was totally consumed by a fire in 1812. The current museum has been reconstructed and decorated with original antique furniture, music instruments and art pieces to reflect the times of Chopin’s childhood. The atmosphere inside is not of a museum at all. You have a feeling of visting Chopin at home...

 

Opening Hours

Mansion:   May-Sept: Tue-Sun 9am - 6pm
                Oct-Apr:   Tue-Sun 9am - 4pm

Concerts:   May-Sept Sundays 12 & 3pm

 

Kazimierz Dolny

Kazimierz Dolny (fot. Dariusz Cierpial)Kazimierz beautifully located at the Vistula river banks around 2 hour drive from Warsaw has been since decades a beloved weekend trip location to many Varsovians. Every child came here for a school trip and every family comes over here at least to have a lunch at the famous market square and eat a special bread in the shape of a cock - the symbol of Kazimierz.

Already in the early middle ages,  in the area of the current town of Kazimierz, a settlement called Windy Hill existed, which alongside the neighbouring hamlets was bestowed at the end of the 12th century (1181) by Kazimierz Sprawiedliwy (Kazimierz the Fair) to the Norbertan nuns from Cracow's Zwierzyniec. It is thought that the nuns changed the name of the settlement to Kazimierz in order to honour the king. The oldest document in which this name appeared is dated 1249 AD.

The 16th and 17th centuries were the town’s golden age. Being a crossroads of trade routes, it became very rich dealing in goods, especially corn. The beautiful granaries along the river bank commemorate this period together with the renaissance outlay of the town and the magnificently decorated tenement houses that belonged to rich merchant families (Przybyło, Celej, Górski). At that time Kazimierz already had 3 churches, out of which the most beautiful is the parish church (fara) that was renewed in the style of lubelski renaissance and in 1620, received the largest organ in Poland at that time. The Swedish invasion brought the decline of Kazimierz’s magnificence; the town was never to regain it again. After the fall of the January Uprising, Kazimierz lost its municipal rights and became a country settlement. [curtousy of kazmierzdolny.pl]

From the 1920's Kazimierz started to be a beloved place of many artists. After the II World War the town attracted even more painters which resulted in even higher popularity of Kazimierz.

Currently the town keeps up the artistic tradition by organising numorous artistic events such as the Polish Folklore Festival and the Film Festival “The Film Summer". Both are held here together with summer concerts of organ music at the church. There are also museums: the Nadwiślańskie Museum, the Natural Science Museum, Kamienica Celejowska, the Goldsmith Museum, the Kuncewiczówka House, and numerous art galleries.


Comments